Does female masturbation cause infertility? In a nutshell, NO! Masturbation does not affect fertility at all, neither in women nor in their male counterparts. Given that masturbation is a highly private affair, it remains unspoken about in the public domain and as a result, there are numerous myths surrounding masturbation, especially when it comes to female masturbation.
Female masturbation is considered one of the reasons behind female infertility. However, it goes without saying that female masturbation is healthy and beneficial, let alone harmful. If not openly, every woman wonders silently ‘Does female masturbation affect ovulation?’, ‘Does it affect the chances of pregnancy?’, ‘Does female masturbation affect fertilization?’ etc.
Herein, let’s demystify female masturbation!
Does female masturbation affect ovulation?
No! Masturbation does not have any impact on ovulation at all, neither does it affect the time of ovulation nor the entire cycle in itself.
During ovulation, ovarian follicles rupture and an egg is released by one of the ovaries. Thereafter, during the luteal phase, the egg travels in the fallopian tube where it may or may not get fertilized by sperm cells. If the fertilization of the egg occurs, it will get implanted in the uterine lining, resulting in pregnancy. If the egg cell is not fertilized by the sperm cell, the egg and thick uterine lining are shed during menstruation.
In males, masturbation usually results in ejaculation i.e., the release of semen which is a prerequisite for conception. However, in women, ovulation does not depend on or require an orgasm. It is a monthly process that occurs in women independent of masturbation or orgasm, unlike ejaculation in males.
Does female masturbation affect fertilization?
Again, NO! Masturbation does not have any impact on the process of fertilization at all.
Let’s understand what fertilization is, in order to shun this myth! Fertilization is an internal process that involves the fusion of a male sperm cell and female egg cell inside the fallopian tube of the female body. Conception occurs when a sperm cell travels through a fallopian tube, penetrates the outer wall, and fertilizes the egg. Therefore, ovulation is the prerequisite for conception in order to ensure the readiness of the egg cell for fertilization.
In short, given that masturbation can not affect the release of egg cells and sperm, therefore, it has no effect on fertilization.
Does female masturbation affect implantation?
There are no reasons or research that suggests that masturbation has any effect on implantation.
As concluded above, it has nothing to do with the process of fertilization between a sperm cell and an egg cell. After fertilization, the fertilized egg gets implanted in the uterine lining, approximately after 8-10 days of conception. However, it does not happen every time. At times, the fertilized egg does not undergo implantation and directly passes through the vagina. The other possibility is that the implantation of a fertilized egg occurs in the fallopian tube instead of the uterine wall, resulting in ectopic pregnancy. No research suggests that masturbation has a role to play in it.
Does female masturbation affect hormone levels in humans?
Masturbation involves self-stimulation of genitals resulting in a euphoric feeling called orgasm. It is the slight increase in levels of certain hormones during masturbation that makes orgasm pleasurable and a de-stressing experience. However, it must be noted that masturbation does not change the hormone levels permanently.
Some of the hormones that increases temporarily are:
- Oxytocin, also known as ‘Love Hormone’ owing to its association with childbirth, socialization, and bonding with fellow humans. It is produced in the hypothalamus and is released by the pituitary gland into the bloodstream.
- Testosterone is a sex hormone found in males and is also produced by ovaries in women but in a smaller quantity. It has a great impact on sexual arousal and stamina as well as in red blood cell production in males.
- Dopamine, also known as ‘Happy Hormone’ or ‘Feel-good Hormone’, acts as a chemical messenger in the body as it is used by our nervous system to transmit messages between the brain and the nerve cells. The sense of reward and happiness that we feel while shopping, having sex, eating a favorite food, etc is all due to the dopamine rush.
- Prolactin is released by the pituitary gland and it stimulates lactation. It has an impact on reproductive health, especially in females after childbirth.
- Endorphins are the peptide hormone released by the hypothalamus and pituitary gland during pleasant as well as painful experiences. It is the body’s natural stress-busters and pain-relievers.
In short, masturbation results in a temporary increase in levels of certain hormones but it does not impact hormones to the point where it interferes with the fertility of human bodies. So, if the thought ‘Can female masturbation cause infertility’ crosses your mind ever again, you already know the answer!
Does female masturbation increase fertility?
Masturbation does not affect fertility in any way. There is no evidence that suggests any negative connection between fertilization and masturbation. Despite the myths and misconceptions surrounding it, we all know, to some extent, that masturbation does not have long-term negative effects on reproductive health. But does female masturbation increase fertility? The answer is NO! It goes without saying that masturbation has many health benefits when done in a safe and sound manner but it does not play any role in conceiving, be it ovulation, menstruation, fertilization, or carrying the pregnancy to its full term.
How safe is masturbation during Pregnancy?
Generally, it’s safe to masturbate during pregnancy. However, at times doctors suggest otherwise in the case of high-risk pregnancies, including but not limited to vaginal bleedings, preterm labor, etc.
We have wondered a lot about the negative misconceptions like ‘Does female masturbation cause infertility?’ or ‘Does it hamper fertilization?’, etc. Let’s talk about the facts surrounding the positive effects of masturbation.
Benefits of Masturbation
- Uplifts the mood: Undoubtedly, masturbation has always put you in a better mood, hasn’t it? This happens due to the release of endorphins, also known as ‘mood-boosters’ during masturbation. These mood boosters not only uplift the mood but also decrease stress levels and make one feel more energetic.
- Reduces the stress: Masturbation results in a temporary increase in the levels of certain hormones like dopamine, oxytocin, prolactin, testosterone, etc. These hormones are also known as the love hormone, happy hormone, body’s natural pain reliever, etc. which reduces the stress and pressure from personal and professional life.
- Improves Sleep: Masturbating is a rigorous activity that consumes a considerable amount of energy from the body. As per the Cleveland Clinic experts, the very first change noticed in the body after the orgasm is an intensification of breathing and heart rate. The muscles in the body are at work too in order to amplify pleasure. When one reaches the peak of having an orgasm, the body lets go of all the tension at once and that makes one feel worked up and exhausted. This exhaustion induces deep sleep.
- Reduces menstrual cramps: Many women experience severe pain in the lower pain during menstruation. This is due to contractions in the uterus produced by prostaglandins. The endorphins produced during masturbation are the best way to alleviate the pain.
- Strengthens the pelvic floor: Masturbation involves engagement of pelvic floor muscles, especially when one orgasm. This helps in strengthening the muscles around one’s reproductive organs.
- Keeps the heart in a good shape: Masturbation is an energy-consuming activity that puts muscles to work and as one reaches orgasm, the heart rate intensifies. In fact, it is believed that masturbation can replace a session of physical exercise. Also, it helps in keeping our nervous system functional.
- Assures the self-worth: Masturbation not only brings pleasure but also helps one’s sexual needs while exploring their body. It also assures bodily autonomy and increases the chances to achieve sexual satisfaction.
- Brings one closer to their partner: Masturbation need not be an individual activity. Mutual masturbation allows the partners to mutually explore each other’s bodies and appreciate them. At times, when sex with penetration is not an option, mutual masturbation is the best as well as the safest option to enjoy a sexual experience with one’s partner.
Well, there’s a long list of benefits associated with masturbation. Let’s hope after glancing through the health benefits that masturbation brings along, we can get rid of all the myths, especially ‘Does female masturbation cause infertility?’ Have a look at the benefits!
Still, having doubts? Reach out to us!
‘Does female masturbation cause infertility?’ If these words are still stuck in your head, you need an expert to help you out. Grace Fertility is a highly professional IVF center that has been part of innumerable happy moments of more than ten thousand couples so far. The team at Grace Fertility entails highly skilled IVF specialists who provide personalized and customized care to the patients. With the help of advanced assisted reproductive technology at Grace Fertility, you can get rid of all the roadblocks on your way towards a happier future. Forget about all the hassle of researching and going through manuals, seek assistance from an expert, and chalk out a successful plan for starting your family. Book your appointment at Grace Fertility and get all the support you need.